Magick, (spelled with a “k” is to distinguish it from stage magic,) is a practice that has been used by our ancestors for centuries to tap into their inner power, connect with the divine, and manifest their desires into reality. Whether you’re a beginner or someone looking to deepen their practice, here are some easy tips on how to practice magick and embark on a journey of self-discovery and transformation.
- Study and Research: One of the first steps in practicing magick is to educate yourself about different magickal systems, traditions, and philosophies. There are various forms of magick, including Wicca, ceremonial magick, chaos magick, and many more. Read books, explore online resources, and connect with experienced practitioners to gain knowledge and understanding of the different practices. It’s important to have a solid foundation of theory and history before diving into practical application.
- Set Intentions: Intentions are the foundation of magick. Before you begin any magickal work, be clear about your intentions. What do you want to achieve? What is your desired outcome? Setting specific and clear intentions helps you to focus your energy and align it with your goals. Take time to meditate and visualize your intentions clearly in your mind’s eye, and infuse them with emotions and feelings to strengthen your intention.
- Create Sacred Space: Creating a sacred space is crucial for magickal work. It’s a space where you can connect with your inner self, the Divine, and the energies of the Universe. You can create a sacred space by setting up an altar, using crystals, spritzing some Florida water, lighting candles, burning incense, or using any other items or symbols that are meaningful to you. Cleansing and purifying the space with rituals, such as burning dry herbs (sage, mugwort, rosemary, etc) or sprinkling sacred waters (Florida water, saltwater, or crystal infused waters) can also help in creating a sacred container.
- Work with Tools: Many magickal practices involve the use of tools and instruments, such as candles, herbs, crystals, wands, and sigils. These tools act as conduits to focus and direct your energy. Choose tools that resonate with you and your intentions. Learn how to cleanse, consecrate, and charge your tools to attune them to your energy and purpose. Remember, while tools can be helpful, magick ultimately comes from within you.
- Practice Meditation and Visualization: Meditation and visualization are essential practices in magick. They help you to quiet your mind, raise your consciousness, and tap into your intuition and inner wisdom. Regular meditation allows you to develop focus, concentration, and mindfulness, crucial in transformational work. Visualization practice of seeing and feeling your intentions as if they have happened, and believing in their reality strengthens your receptivity of them.
- Work with the Elements: The elements – earth, air, fire, water, and spirit – are fundamental forces in nature and are often associated with magick. You can work with the elements to connect with their energies and use them in your spiritual practice. For example, you can use herbs or crystals associated with the elements, perform ceremonies or rituals outdoors, or incorporate elemental invocations and prayers in your spells and rituals. Building a strong relationship with the elements can deepen your connection with the natural world and enhance your magickal practice.
- Experiment with Spells and Rituals: Spells and rituals are the practical application of magick. They are symbolic acts that represent your intentions and help you to focus your energy to manifest your desires. Experiment with different types of spells, such as candle magick, sigil magick, or ritualistic ceremonies, and find what resonates with you.
As with any practice, follow ethical guidelines and be mindful of the energy you are working with and directing. Whether you choose to use these steps or follow your own ideas of discovery of expanding your magick, remember, while tools can be helpful, magick ultimately comes from within you through your divine connection.