In between tending to the kids, your partner, running a house, possibly a career, and not to forget to mention your friends and family who also want a piece of your time…it’s so easy to put yourself last. I get it…after all the running around, errands, appointments, cooking, laundry, cleaning, homework, etc…it sometimes is easier to surrender and throw your hair in a bun, put on the comfy mama or pajama jeans, the oversized T-Shirt, and just let yourself go. But easier doesn’t necessarily mean smarter. Life can get busy, overly busy, to the point that you may feel like you’ve lost control. However, neglecting yourself will end you up unsatisfied with who you’ve become. Cranky, overwhelmed, stressed, tired, disappointed, and maybe even resentful for not achieving the life you once dreamed of (just to name a few). Now ask yourself, is this any state to be in to take care of others? No!
You can’t take care of others, unless you take care of yourself.
Take pride in your appearance and watch your confidence and self-esteem soar to heights that’ll motivate you to conquer your other goals. Don’t fall into the trap of not eating healthy and giving up on exercise. As a mom, heck…a strong woman…
YOU CAN HAVE IT ALL! You can be a hot mama! You can have a balanced life: kids, a career, and a beautiful you (inside and out). You can achieve the sexy, slim, and toned body you’ve always wanted!
Just follow these few steps:
1) Realize that taking care of yourself is not self-indulgence! It’s not selfish. It’s a necessity to create the strongest and healthiest you. It’s setting a healthy example for those around you. It’s the means to reaching the fulfilled life of your dreams and subsequently for those you care for.
2) Enough with the excuses! You know what’s the hardest part of achieving a healthy and active lifestyle? It’s not swinging on the monkey bars with your kids. It’s not taking a nice walk or listening to your favorite tunes. It’s not even eating a juicy chicken breast with sautéed vegetables on the side or a sweet and refreshing tropical smoothie. It’s finding the motivation to stay on track. Sometimes, more times than not, it’s easier to come up with an excuse of why you can’t than why you can. Maybe you’re tired. You don’t have the time. No one can watch your kids. Your workout attire is dirty. It’s too cold to go outside. These are all excuses! All it takes is finding the motivation to take the first step…perhaps popping in the workout DVD, getting out the door, putting on your tennis shoes. Once you pass the first step, you’re already there…so keep going. Check out these tips on how to find and keep the motivation to workout and eat healthy!
3) To lose weight you must create a caloric deficit. It’s about calories in vs calories out. If you take in more calories than your body needs/uses for energy, you’ll gain weight. If you take in less or burn more than your body needs, you’ll lose weight. And if you take in the same amount as your body needs/burns, your weight will remain the same. In other words, since 3500 calories equals 1lb, you have to create a deficit of 3500 calories to drop 1lb. While 3500 calories does sound a lot, it can be broken down to 500 calories a day to lose 1lb a week. 500 calories a day is not hard. You can do that just by cutting out 250 calories and burning another 250 via exercise. If you don’t know how many calories your body needs…you can calculate it here.
4) When you’re on the go, it sometimes is easier to fall into the trap of making unhealthy choices about food…but, with a little bit of organization and planning, you can make smart decisions. You have to get out of the you’re “dieting” mind frame and realize it’s a lifestyle. Don’t eliminate any foods, try to incorporate better choices: lean meats, unrefined carbs, fiber, healthy fats, veggies, fruits, etc. Also, try eating every few hours to avoid falling into starvation mode and storing fat. Here’s the 411 on healthy eating!
5) Workout…but only if it’s fun! The start of every New Year…millions hit the gym. In fact, they probably can fit in 2 to 3 days a week and last for let’s say 2 to 3 weeks. But why do they stop? They get bored. Living an active style requires both cardio and strength training. And if that feels like it’s a chore, then you’re not going to last. You have to make it fun. Go out and play with your kids, go for a jog on the beach with friends, try hula-hooping, rollerblading, dancing. Whatever your choice is…make it something you enjoy.
How many calories do you think a mom burns by being a mom? Find the answer here!
6) Stress releases more of the hormone called cortisol, causing weight gain…so cut it out! Here’s 7 Ways to Beat Stress Fat!
7) Go to bed. I know that’s easier said than done, but when you’re sleep deprived your body has more of the hormone called ghrelin and less of the hormone called leptin. Ghrelin tells you when to eat, so more ghrelin means more hunger. Leptin tells your body when to stop eating. So less leptin means more eating. Not a pretty combination.
There you go…seven tips to help you get your hot bod back. Who says you can’t have it all?! Whether you’re a busy mom or a woman on the go…you can have it all…You can be it all! You can be fit and fab! But…I do want to end with one special message…“When a woman realizes that she is beautiful in her “imperfections” and accepts herself as she is, her confidence soars and it affects every aspect of her life.” ~Alicia Richmond
Granted, I’ve shared with you how you can slim down, tone up, and get that body you’ve always wanted…but please do know that beauty is what you feel about yourself not about what you see in the mirror. And to all my mamas out there…when you stand there and notice your stretch marks, the softer tummy, and the wider hips…keep in mind that each line represents a mark for every breath, blink, and hiccup, your baby took before he/she came out to say hello. Your tummy was his/her first home, his/her first safe haven, the place where you rested your hands on at night whispering how much you loved him/her. Yes…your body may have changed…but it made you stronger. It made you the beautiful woman you are today!
“Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful.” ~Sophia Loren